Thursday, August 22, 2013

"Abnormal" Precious Memories

"Kathryn, can you come outside with us?"
The little blue eyes that looked up at me were too sweet to ignore.
I followed the two little tots outside into the growing night to watch them ride a bike and run around. They bounced around, played with kitties, giggled and laughed, and gathered peacock feathers while the very last rays of sunlight disappeared in the sky.
As the stars began to shine, and I watched them in peaceful silence, enjoying the stillness of the evening, it suddenly occurred to me that I shouldn't be standing on the porch that late in the evening, watching 6 year olds play.... according to the views of other young people my age, I should be out "having fun": driving around town until late, playing loud music, avoiding my family, especially avoiding the kids, and hanging with my friends and boyfriend...
I realized right there, that, if I were "normal", I would not have had this special memory of the two little girls playing and giggling in the dark.
Such peace and enjoyment of innocence can rarely be found anywhere else but in the playtime of children. And nothing can be more precious than the laughter and giggles of little children.
Right then and there, I thanked God I was not normal. I thanked Him that He had taught me how to love spending time with my family. I thanked Him for teaching me to find the beautiful moments in silence, and for giving me this special memory.
For years to come, I will remember two little silhouettes bouncing around the trees, tickling each other with long feathers, and giggling as they chased each other. I will remember the peace it brought to watch such simple fun, and nothing will replace the utter contentment I felt right there. All was right with the world for that brief moment: there was no pain, no bad people, no sad memories.... just simply Heaven, filled with the laughter of sweet children.

No comments:

Post a Comment