Friday, September 2, 2011

The Mac&Cheese Bowl

I walked up to the kitchen sink yesterday, and I saw some little bowls with leftover Mac & Cheese beginning to dry in them. As I began to clean them, I turned inward to my imagination.
(Please, imagine me talking in an exaggerated mommy voice, with a slight lisp)


“Okay kids. Gather round. I want to show you something.”
All of my siblings line up in front of me with perfectly intent faces.
“You see this bowl?” I ask as I hold up the bowl with drying Mac & Cheese for them all to see “If this dried, do you realize that it would take me an extra minute to clean it? Maybe an extra minute AND 30 SECONDS???”
“Okay, I’m not even gonna ask who left this bowl in this sink like this, because I know that none of you will admit it, but I am going to tell you all something: the next person who leaves their bowl in the sink like this will wash the dishes. And when I say ‘wash the dishes’ I mean ‘wash ALL OF THE DISHES’. Do we understand?”
They all nod their little heads.
“Okay, Threat Notice & Awareness session is over. Now go play.”

When I snapped out of it, I laughed out loud. “If only it was that simple…” I told myself as I scrubbed the bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment